Minnesota Road Condition Terms
The Minnesota Department of Transportation strongly advises travelers to use various resources (radio, television, weather apps, etc.) to make an informed decision before you travel.
Road conditions are updated Monday - Friday in the morning (3a.m. - 6a.m.) and in the afternoon (3p.m. - 6p.m.) and as conditions change. After normal business hours, weekends and holidays, conditions will be updated when they change.
- Dry or wet pavement. May include icy bridge decks.
- Ice, sleet/slush, snow or mixture of these causing the roadway to be partially covered (up to 50%)
- Roadway may become slick, snow packed or rutted
- Moderate blowing and drifting snow
- Drivers may experience difficulty seeing road markings
- Normal traffic speeds MAY be impacted due to visibility and precipitation
- Pavement completely covered (i.e. rain, frost, ice sleet/slush, snow or a mixture thereof)
- Sleet/slush means pavement is 100% wet and may have slick spots or standing water
- Snow accumulation completely obscures the pavement markings
- Heavy snowfall, strong winds, ground drifting and freezing rain make travel difficult and hazardous.
- Normal traffic speeds WILL be impacted due to reduced visibility
Travel Not Advised:
- Being on the road is dangerous
- Ice covered roadways - near blizzard conditions
- Visibility below 1/4 mile
- Travel not allowed
- Emergency vehicles only